The original UND Law School Building was built in 1923 and only underwent one major upgrade since its construction. UND needed to meet the needs of its students, the instructional needs of its faculty and the functional needs of its support staff. The project included an addition and extensive renovation to the original law school building and the Thormodsgard Law Library. The addition was to feature contemporary educational improvements by providing updated academic instructional spaces, faculty offices, and common study areas. Much of the renovation focused on mechanical upgrades and heating, ventilation, and conditioning systems.
The new addition is physically separated from the existing Law School with a glass entry. From an interior perspective, the glass wall highlights a central atrium space that acts as the “heart” of the law school. The new entry welcomes the student and visitor through its alignment with a partially hardscaped and landscaped pathway lined with trees and site lighting such that it becomes very clear where the “front door” of the Law School is.